Monday, October 16, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
This is #1Thing that is Big Time Important when it comes to keeping Mama Earth / Austin area Clean! If you have left over medications, don’t toss them in the trash or flush them down the toilet. Keep them from getting into our land fills and bodies of water that will create problems w/ just about everything in the eco-system.
It’s hard to know what to do w/ them. There is ‘National Prescription Drug Take Back Day’ which is Saturday, October 28th from 10am-2pm. I have disposed of my expired prescription medications the past few years when I found out about this day. You can find drop off locations closest to you in the ATX area. Click here!
I also found out more cool #1Thing 411! Austin has 2 secured Drop-off Kiosks! wanted to spread the word.
Is your medicine cabinet filled with drugs or medications you no longer use? Expired prescription or over-the-counter drugs? Proper disposal of medicines prevents poisoning of children or pets and misuse of medication… also the poisoning of our Eco-System. This 1Thing is a HUGE HELP! We should all do this!! Here’s the 411 on the Drop-off Kiosks-
Drop-off Kiosks – What items can be disposed of?
Only medications from individuals can be accepted. Inventory from pharmacies or healthcare facilities is not accepted. Disposal bins are secured to the floor and double-locked.
- Pills, tablets, capsules
- Blister packs
- Creams, ointments, lotions
- Inhalers, nebulizer
- Liquid medicine (no more than 4-oz.)
- Needles, syringes
- Vitamins, supplements
- Home-based care equipment
- Aerosol spray cans
- Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- No schedule I/illegal drugs
Travis County Constable Precinct 5
1003 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78701 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(short-term parking is available in the parking lot)
Forty Acres Pharmacy
100 W. Dean Keeton St., Austin, TX 78712 Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
(parking available in garage behind pharmacy)
Click here for lots more 411! Try this #1Thing! A Huge Help to Keep Austin Beautiful along w/ Mama Earth!
Friday, September 29, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Pumpkins, Hayrides and Corn Mazes! Find some Awesome Pumpkin Patches around the Austin area thanks to DO512Family When you get the Pumpkin for a natural Fall/ Halloween decoration and then do something cool and/ or yummy w/ it.. it’s a #1THING shared w/ family & friends.
Find out more here! Have Fall Ya’ll! Happy Halloween!
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
The month of October shows Love for the Vegetarian Diet and Green Halloween Tricks and Treats and more. You do 1Thing it will help Mama Earth, which is important to us all, since we live on her. Pick one, two or more and go for it! Do #1Thing.
- October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. Eating more plant-based foods such as vegetables, fruits and legumes and cutting out meat will boost your body’s health and reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers. Plus going meatless has environmental benefits such as cutting greenhouse gas emissions produced by livestock by 70%.
30 Day Vegetarian Diet Vegetarian Awareness Month Vegan Diets Reduce Global Warming
- Think Green when it comes to Halloween. Avoid costumes w/ toxic chemicals. Use existing clothing and fashion costumes from recycled materials. Host a community costume swap. Decorate Naturally with locally grown pumpkins to reduce waste and carbon emissions. Celebrate at a local farm w/ hay rides, corn mazes and yummy produce. Make it a Green Halloween
- October is Adopt a Dog month. Adopting is Greener than Breeding. Each year 4-5 million dogs (& cats) are put down in shelters across the country. Keep the good of saving their life by caring for them in an eco-friendly way. Get organic food and treats. Buy pet products made with organic or recylced materials. Buy local – the less time spent driving makes for a healthier and happier pet and environment.
8 Tips for Raising Environmentally Friendly Cats and Dogs
- This October Choose Green Spirits. A growing number of breweries and wineries are adhering to organic, environmentally-conscious practices and are working toward operating with 100% sustainable energy. Many parts of the country have local wineries that produce delicious, organic products each season. If local varieties aren’t available to you, check out this green wine guide to help you make some tasty, healthy picks.
Easy 1Things that can be done to have fun and help Mama Earth at the same time. Give one or two or more a try. You will be making a Big difference.
Thursday, September 7, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
There’s a New eco-smart community in east Austin Whisper Valley featuring Pacesetter Homes! Geothermal/energy efficient, community gardens, dog-friendly, miles of hike & bike trails and more:
What is an EcoSmart Community?
EcoSmart Community provide a clean and zero-energy capable solution for entire communities like Whisper Valley. Reducing consumption, protecting the environment, eliminating noise, and saving money. Lots of ways to Think Green!
What is a Zero-Energy Capable Home?
It’s possible for homes to be energy self-sufficient. By reducing consumption using high-efficiency geothermal heat pumps and producing power using photovoltaic (PV) solar panels, a home can become zero-energy capable. And EcoSmart innovations make it all possible.
Click here for more! #ThinkGreeninATX #1Thing
Wednesday, August 23, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
#SolarEclipse2017 was a history maker for many, and the eclipse glasses are laying around as proof. About 2.1 million paper versions were distributed by thousands of libraries in the United States. That many just to libraries, so imagine how many of these glasses are lying around the country. more here
The next eclipse is April 8, 2024. You could hold on to your NASA approved glasses until then. Although some manufacturers have warnings that the lenses expire after 3 years. So in 7 years , they won’t be as effective for your eyes.
Rather then tossing them, where they will end up in a landfill or worse causing more pollution on Mama Earth. Do 1Thing w/ them to help the environment.
1Things to do w/ Eclipse Glasses:
- Astronomers Without Borders.
Collect and re-purpose eclipse glasses and redistribute the specs to under-served South American and Asian schools, where the next solar eclipse will take place on July 2, 2019. More here
- Recycle them. Take the lenses out and put the paper glass frames in the recycle bin. The lenses /plastic frames find your local recycling location, and find out where they should go.
- Repurpose- The lenses could be a souvenir for display.
- Reuse / Repurpose – Ask at schools, libraries and recreation programs if they want them for astronomy activities.
- Repurpose / creating Astr0-Fashion- Eclipse Lense earrings..
- Reuse as a sleeping mask / be creative
Look at ATX on the top of the list for #SolarEclipse 2024 being one of the Best Cities for viewing it!
- Austin, Texas
- Dallas, Texas
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Carbondale, Illinois
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Toledo, Ohio
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Akron, Ohio
- Buffalo, New York
- Rochester, New York
- Montpelier, Vermont
- Montreal, Quebec
Friday, August 4, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Starting October 2, Austin Recourse Recovery is adding 38,000 more customers to the Curbside Composting Collection w/ plans to add all curbside customers to get this service by 2020. The composting program collects food scraps, yard trimmings and food soiled paper. They are converted into nutrient – rich compost. The goal ATX’s Zero Waste goal is to get 90 of materials out of landfills by 2040.
There was a recent study that showed close to 1/2 of everything residential customers send to the landfill is compostable. When compostable material is buried in a landfill, the materials don’t break down properly as they would if in a cmopost pile. This is a #1Thing hat helps ATX Big Time!
Visit austintexas.gov/austincomposts for more information.
Thursday, August 3, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Try 1Thing during the month of August. Help Keep ATX Beautiful, which helps Mama Earth Keep Beautiful. #1Thing no matter how small helps!
Did you know?
1.) Did you know that Beef is widely recognized as the most climate-damaging of all foods? Click here to find out why!
2.) Did you know the Total amount of U.S. food waste could feed 84% Of The Country? Easy 1Thing.. stop wasting food! Click here!
3.) Did you know these celebrities are Vegans / Vegetarians. Click here!
4.) Did you know these celebrities do 1Thing: Brett Eldredge, Rachel Platten and Liam Payne. Click here go find out what 1Thing they do!
Tuesday, June 20, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Eco-friendliness is important all across the country. Looks like some states believe that more than others. Finances also play an important part of being Green. Being sustainable and supportive of environmental security is a huge factor when it comes to successfully taking care of Mama Earth.
Then there’s Climate Change, from powerful damaging storms to extreme heat / droughts. These and more bad weather events are expecte to cause more than $500 Billion in property damage by 2100. Destroying the Earth on which we all live.
I know ATX is a pretty Green / Eco- friendly city, which is a huge plus for the state of Texas when it comes to being Green minded. It looks like other places in Texas need to boost up their Green Pride lots more according to this list… Texas didn’t make the top 10… not the top 20…. not even the top 30.
The state of Texas came in at #36! Spread the word that more needs to be done to help protect & preserve our environment. It’s the only one we have. Let’s take care of it! Do 1Thing to show Love to Mama Earth!
Click here to find out more!
Monday, June 5, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Today is #VeggieburgerDay, and I have noticed they have come a long way in the past 10 years to delicious.. especially in ATX! Here are a couple of lists of #YummyVeggieBurgers you can get your grub on in the ATX area. You could celebrate today plus making it #MeatlessMonday, it’s #1Thing that helps the environment. A win for your tummy / health and Mama Earth. Check these out!
DO512’s Top 10 Veggie Burgers in ATX includes:
- Kerbey Lane Cafe.. who also have #Yummy Gingerbread Pancakes and it’s also #GingerbreadDay .. so double bonus!
- Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse & Cafe
- Counter Culture
- Mother’s Cafe & Garden
Click here for more!
Austin Eater also has a #Yummy #VeggieBurgersinATX list that is a must see here! Enjoy!
Wednesday, May 24, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Here’s a Cool Green #1Thing for Mama Earth / ATX that will also help you save Green! It’s the 2nd Annual Lawn & Garden Water Smart Tax Holiday! I saw this mention on KXAN. Any item that has the WaterSense logo on it can be purchased tax-free all 3 days Memorial Day Weekend … Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29.
Other items that qualify include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Click here for lots more 411
Have a Happy, Safe & Greener Memorial Day weekend!