Tuesday, October 3, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
October is Vegetarian Awareness Month
Happy Vegetarian Awareness Month! If you’ve been toying with the idea of going meat-free, this month is the perfect time to start. Vegetarian diets have proven health benefits, save animals’ lives and help to preserve the Earth.
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture
If you are a vegetarian and want to educate those around you, Vegetarian Awareness Month is a great time to raise awareness and encourage friends and family to join you in adopting a vegetarian diet. Here are some easy ways to do that:
- Make a list of your favorite vegetarian restaurants, or those that serve favorite dishes, for your friends and family—or take them to one of them to see (and taste) for themselves.
- Share some of your favorite vegetarian recipes with your friends and family members. Give them a recipe list, or make them one of your favorites and attach the recipe to it.
- Are you a gardener? Need to get rid of the last of your summer produce to make room for your cool season crops? If so, give those you love a basketful along with recipe and meal planning ideas. Not a gardener? Then shop at your local farmers’ market and give them a basketful from there.
- You can also organize a produce swap. This can be with friends and family or with other gardeners, to increase their awareness about the number of produce varieties to choose from.
If you are not a vegetarian, here are some tips for you:
- Observe Meatless Monday. This is a growing trend, and is a perfect way to kick off the month by eating meat-free for Vegetarian Awareness Day. You can also try to do this throughout the month and have a variety of vegetables to keep your diet interesting.
- Educate yourself about the nutritional benefits of a vegetarian diet and find out the other ways that it can benefit you.
- Go for one whole day as a vegetarian and tell friends and family you are doing this.
- Host a meatless meal or potluck with your friends. This will help all of you get more tasty recipe ideas and become familiar with different veggies.
- When you dine out, try the meatless options and encourage your friends to do the same.
The North American Vegetarian Society is giving non-vegetarians an added incentive to go meat-free. Pledge to go meat-free during Vegetarian Awareness Month and you’ll have the chance to win up to $1,000. Even just one day will make you eligible for the drawing.
Non-vegetarians who pledge to abstain from all meat, fish and fowl will be entered in a random drawing for cash prizes. Click here to find out all the details.
Friday, September 29, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Pumpkins, Hayrides and Corn Mazes! Find some Awesome Pumpkin Patches around the Austin area thanks to DO512Family When you get the Pumpkin for a natural Fall/ Halloween decoration and then do something cool and/ or yummy w/ it.. it’s a #1THING shared w/ family & friends.
Find out more here! Have Fall Ya’ll! Happy Halloween!
Monday, June 5, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Today is #VeggieburgerDay, and I have noticed they have come a long way in the past 10 years to delicious.. especially in ATX! Here are a couple of lists of #YummyVeggieBurgers you can get your grub on in the ATX area. You could celebrate today plus making it #MeatlessMonday, it’s #1Thing that helps the environment. A win for your tummy / health and Mama Earth. Check these out!
DO512’s Top 10 Veggie Burgers in ATX includes:
- Kerbey Lane Cafe.. who also have #Yummy Gingerbread Pancakes and it’s also #GingerbreadDay .. so double bonus!
- Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse & Cafe
- Counter Culture
- Mother’s Cafe & Garden
Click here for more!
Austin Eater also has a #Yummy #VeggieBurgersinATX list that is a must see here! Enjoy!
Wednesday, May 24, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Here’s a Cool Green #1Thing for Mama Earth / ATX that will also help you save Green! It’s the 2nd Annual Lawn & Garden Water Smart Tax Holiday! I saw this mention on KXAN. Any item that has the WaterSense logo on it can be purchased tax-free all 3 days Memorial Day Weekend … Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29.
Other items that qualify include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Click here for lots more 411
Have a Happy, Safe & Greener Memorial Day weekend!
Wednesday, May 17, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Every year the United States wastes about 40% of food. Researchers at Johns Hopkins University broke down into statistics the nutritional content of the food. They found the amount of nutrition of wasted food would be enough to sustain 84% of our population. This is sad and scary since we have so many who are hungry, and they don’t need to be. Plus all the waste messes w/ Mama Earth.
There are steps you can take to limit food waste and bring nutrition back to our food supply to feed so many more people. Plus buying local, organic.. staying away from plastic / styrofoam and other non- Mama Earth Friendly packaging will help all across the board! Click here.
Globally 1/3 of the World’s food goes to waste while over 1 BILLION PEOPLE are hungry/ starving! This needs to be fixed too!
There is a bunch of useful 411 from Feeding America to help feed others who need it and strive for Sustainability. There is around 72 BILLION POUNDS of perfectly good food that ends up in landfils and incinerators every year. It needs to be rescued to help hungry families and Mama Earth. The EPA & USDA are working on goals.
On a global scale the UN agrees reducing food waste is a Big Priority for protecting the environment. an ambitious, goald of reducing food wast by 1/2 in the year 2030 can be achievable if we all do our part. Great #1Thing to do for hungry families and Mama Earth!
Wednesday, April 12, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
These lollipops grow into plants after you’re done eating them. Tahdah! Click here! It’s an easy, yummy #1Thing you can do to help Mama Earth! Yummy Green Magic!
Friday, April 7, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Here’s a 1Thing when it comes to your footwear, thanks to Reebok. They have found that using a certain type of corn w/ an organic cotton upper, makes the shoe a whole lot more Mama Earth Friendly. The Classic Reebok looking sustainable sneaker has gone through numerous tests, and it’s looking good as a shoe that could be worn and take wear and tear.
When Mama Earth Friendly Reeboks are ready to retire, the entire shoe is biodegradable. Which makes their end game w/ organic cotton and corn-based sole compostable…. Mama Earth Friendly! Click here for more and see what they look like! #1Thing.
Monday, April 3, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
April is Happy Earth Month. Every 1Thing you can do to help Mama Earth is a huge plus. One area to help is slowing down food waste that’s tossed out. Let’s talk Fruit. Once it starts going bad/ too ripe, instead of tossing it right away, there could be another use for it, if you can’t stomach it. The less waste the better for MaMa Earth.
Here are 13 Fruity Ideas for a #1Thing you can do!
1 – Face Masks
2 – Polish Silver / Shoes – Banana Peel minus the strips
3 – Smoothies – adding the over ripe banana after you use it’s banana peel.. NO WASTE!
4 – Granitas- a frozen treat that’s like a snow cone, only boozier.
5 – Fruit Jams – plus save green on how much they cost store bought
6 – Conditioning Hair Treatments
7 – Garbage Disposal – Smelly… a fruity smell will help Big Time!
8 – Bread & Muffins – add chopped fruit
9 – Crumbles, Crisps & Cobblers – sugar-coated fruit surrounded by brown sugar crumbles or doughy pie crust
10 – Make Potpourri – Save money on getting the smelly stuff when you can make it
11 – Fruit Flavored Booze – The riper the fruit the better
12- Homemade Ice Cream – Perfect for Hot Central Texas Summer Days
13 – Homemade Pasta/ Sauces – Try it you might like it
Click here on how too…
Thursday, March 30, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
What the heck is The Growroom? It’s becoming an Ikea & Space10 Mantra. Urbanized Gardening in a very cool, sustainable and family friendly way. You can have that Garden inside, and grow yummy things to eat.
The word is it’s not the normal stuff in a box w/ hard to figure out picture based instructions to put it together. You can download the necessary files to create the structure w/ correctly sized plywood pieces making use of a local fab lab workshop to cut for you. You put the pieces together using Space10’s free online instructions.
It still sounds a bit intense to me, but it does look pretty cool. It’s supposed to be another sustainable option within the city for you and your neighborhood to enjoy garden fresh produce. It’s worth a look. Click here!
Monday, March 20, 2017 | By Heather Rivera | No Comments
Hey ATX! Spring is officially here! Enjoy it, before it hits 100 soon, and jumps from Spring to Summer! Here is a list of Yummy places to get your Green Grub On In ATX!
1.) Odd Duck – Farm to Trailer … On the top of the Growers Alliance of Central Texas list as one of the most frequent buyers for local farm foods.
2.) Juan Pelota Cafe – In Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop which promotes biking in ATX for a way to get around besides just recreation & competition. The coffee is also Eco- friendly…. 100% Arabica beans, organic, Fair-Trade Certified, shade-grown, bird-friendly and more…
3.) Cafe Bon Appetit– On the campus of St. Edwards Uhniversity. Healthy, sustainable food options for vegans & vegetarians, organic produce from local farms and even the containers are reusable and recyclable/ washed and reused
4.) Snap Kitchen – A platinum level Green business in ATX. Eco-friendly all around from the building having green bamboo floors, to recyclable and compostable packaging and a menu w/ emphasis on local and organic ingredients…
5.) La Condesa – Locally sourced cuisine. Certified Green meeting standards in many areas of sustainability…water efficiency, waster reduction, furnishings, building materials, food, energy and more. Their cooking oil is recycled into bio-diesel.. and more..
More places to get your Green Grub on in ATX here!