Mother’s Day is coming up on Sunday May 12th! Shannon emailed me a list of lots of fabulous ’GREEN’ gift ideas for Mom on her day that will make Mama Earth Happy too! Giving Green spreads a WHOLE LOT MORE LOVE!
Make Mom Queen for the Day
- Maybe your mom needs a nice bubble bath. How about some Bath Fizzers from White Rabbit Beauty or bubble bath from Every Day Shea, a bottle of eco-friendly wine, and some reading material?
- Treat your mom to artisanal, organic, and fair-trade chocolates that’ll keep her taste buds and conscience happy.
- Take mom to a Certified Green Restaurant. Find one near you at dinegreen.com.
- Pamper Mom with a basket of organic hair or skin care products-no parabens, synthetic colors, fragrance, or preservatives.
- Treat Mom to an earth-friendly spa day.The Green Spa Network can help you choose a spa that offers and promotes earth-friendly products, services, and business practices.
Gift Mom the Gift of Green
- Surprise Mom with a simple greenhouse or terrarium to house her favorite herbs, vegetables, succulents, or flowers.
- Choose Organic, fair-trade bouquets or a potted plant.
Give Mom a Green Gift
- Buy Mom a membership to her favorite environmental organization, state park, local audubon society, local museum, zoo, or aquarium that supports environmental initiatives and education.
- Give her a bucket filled with non-toxic cleaning products. Include a small homemade card offering to help her with the household chores. An alternative is The Little Cleaning Box! It comes with a variety of cleaning product samples and every 90 days, a new box comes!
Give Her a Jolt of Java:
- Buy a membership to a coffee CSA through CoffeeCSA.org. You can even pay to plant a tree on a small coffee farm as an extra gift!
- Soothe her with a selection of organic, fair tradeteas, from Green, Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast to specialty loose teas such as Darjeeling First Blush from Equal Exchange.
Give Green Greetings:
- Give mom a recycled or electronic greeting card, or make a card out of old magazines and wall calendars.
- Give a card made of plantable seed paper; bury it and when the paper biodegrades, the seeds grow into wildflowers.
Give Her the Farm:
- Membership in a farm co-op will bring farm fresh produce to eco-friendly mom’s dinner table every week throughout the summer growing season. A farm co-op membership for Mother’s Day allows mom to choose pesticide-free, locally grown, organic produce each week throughout the summer growing season.
Green Inventory the House
- Do a green inventory of the house for Mother’s Day and make changes to improve its green rating. String up a clothesline, purchase and install new light bulbs, find a suitable container from the household stockpile and decorate it to serve as Mom’s new scrap collector for her composting bin, install power strips, or buy her a stack of reusable cloth shopping and produce bags.