Here are a few things to think about if you have a dog/cat/pet, that would keep ‘The Green Theme’ going and keep Mama Earth pretty!
1. Keep a close eye on your pets. It’s been said that mangy felines kill more birds than wind turbines. Because of the dangers of cars, predators, disease, and other hazards, two out of every three vets recommend keeping cats indoors. Until we have a handle on our environment, let’s take special precautions to keep our pets safe.
2. Pick up after your dogs using paper or biodegradable poop bags. Plastic bags will not break down in the landfill. According to scientist Will Brinton, American dogs and cats create 10 million tons of waste each year. It’s probably better to compost the remains so they aren’t washed away by rain down to your local rivers and beaches.
3. Use natural pet-care and cleaning products. We care about the shampoos and detergents we use on ourselves and our clothes, so let’s use the same discretion when choosing shampoos and cleaners for our pets. Use shampoos and other grooming products that are free of phosphates, sulfates, and other chemicals that can be harmful to the environment.
4. Have pets spayed or neutered. Pet overpopulation takes up valuable resources and contributes to pollution. If no one is taking care of the strays, who knows what kind of additional damage they can do to our environment?
5. Work together on reducing your environmental impact. Walk your dog to the doggie park rather than driving there. Put light and heating bulbs in your reptile and fish habitats on timers. Instead of using a blow dryer to dry your freshly bathed pet, use a towel. (I didn’t think about the blow dryer.. I know my pup Huey would be all for no Dryer)