April is Earth Month with Earth Day happening Sunday, April 22, 2018. The Earth Day Network is working on securing a Future Free of Plastic Pollution. Your help can start w/ the Stop the Plastic Pollution Pledge and using the resources available to help with the journey of stopping here! Doing your part to Stop Plastic Pollution is 1THING that will help the environment in which we all live together.
PLASTIC POLLUTION FACTOIDS WE SHOULDN’T IGNORE:
- 300 million tons of plastic are sold each year and 90% of that is thrown away. A huge percentage of those plastics end up in our landfills, our oceans, our wildlife and our bodies.
- Plastic breaks down in our environment it can mimic human hormones and is linked to everything from breast cancer to early puberty
- Corporations are making billions of dollars selling their products in disposal plastic containers but are refusing to take responsibility for what happens to the 100s of millions of plastic containers and bags that move through our global economy every single day
- Governments are unable or unwilling to take the health risks of plastic seriously and are not moving to ban single use plastics and non-recyclable products.
- We are also at fault because we haven’t made the break from single use plastics even though alternatives are now on the markets
If enough of us get behind a global ban on single use plastics, we can begin to heal our oceans, our wildlife, and our children. Click here for more and the petition to Help Stop Plastic Pollution!