1THING Green in ATX is definitely the Sustainable Food Center. There are many 1THINGS that can be done with SFC that will definitely help Mama Earth. SFC shows a lot of ‘Green Love’ for the Austin community….
The Sustainable Food Center got it’s start in ’93 w/ roots going back to 1975 as Austin Community Gardens. SFC is involved in every step of the local, Central Texas food system.
- SFC’s mission is to cultivate a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food. SFC envisions a food-secure community where all children and adults grow, share, and prepare healthy, local food.
- From seed to table, SFC creates opportunities for individuals to make healthy food choices and to participate in a vibrant local food system. Through organic food gardening, relationships with area farmers, interactive cooking classes and nutrition education, children and adults have increased access to locally grown food and are empowered to improve the long-term health of Central Texans and our environment.
SFC’s Grow Local program offers:
- Food Gardening classes
- Community Garden Support & Trainings
- School Garden Support & Classroom Trainings
- Spread the Harvest program which provides schools and low-income home gardeners with free gardening materials, including seeds, compost, and plants
Sustainable Food Center’s 11th Annual Farm to Plate Wednesday, May 9th
- 7pm-9:30pm at Barr Mansion
- Exclusive VIP hour held from 6pm-7pm!
- Join SFC and Austin’s most acclaimed local chefs and celebrate the bounty of Central Texas